IC News and Media House Private Limited


ब्रेकिंग न्यूज़

Jammu & Kashmir News : Beyond Comprehension’: Government Buses Remain Off Route While Private Services Continue

Mushtaq Pulwama state chief

Srinagar, Aug 19 : The prolonged suspension of the Jammu and Kashmir Road Transport Corporation’s Srinagar-Delhi bus service has left regular passengers dependent on private operators, raising questions over why a government-run service has remained off the road while private buses continue to operate on the same route. The JKRTC service has reportedly remained suspended since May 25, leaving students, traders, patients and other regular travellers with limited affordable public transport options for the journey to Delhi and back. Passengers said they have been compelled to rely on private buses, many of which charge considerably higher fares than the government service. The suspension has triggered resentment among commuters, who questioned the rationale behind keeping JKRTC buses off the Srinagar-Delhi route when there continues to be demand for the service.

What has particularly raised eyebrows among passengers and insiders is that the prolonged absence of JKRTC buses has effectively left the route to private operators. Some insiders described the situation as difficult to comprehend and alleged that the continued suspension was indirectly benefiting private transporters operating between Srinagar and New Delhi. Sources in the corporation said the two buses previously deployed on the Srinagar-Delhi route have remained parked at the JKRTC yard. The suspension has also reportedly affected the corporation’s workforce. Sources claimed that several drivers engaged on a consolidated basis have started leaving the corporation after receiving better salary offers from private transport companies. For passengers, however, the central issue remains the absence of a government-operated alternative on a route used by people for medical treatment, education, business and other essential travel.

They have urged the government particularly the Minister for Transport Satish Sharma to restore the Srinagar-Delhi service at the earliest, arguing that a public transport corporation should expand and strengthen affordable connectivity rather than leave passengers dependent on private operators. Kashmir News Trust made repeated attempts to obtain the official response from Transport Minister Satish Sharma, but he could not be reached for comment.

ChatGPT Image Jun 19, 2026, 03_57_34 PM

Related Articles

Back to top button